debbie in wonderland

Friday, January 06, 2006

What's New

My main reason for opening this blog is to tell far-flung family and friends what's new with the Walks and share my adventures in fabricland.

Those who know me well know that I've always been interested in arts and crafts and also in biology and medicine (my Bachelor's Degree, circa 1976, was in Biology and Art).

I was mainly at home with kids for many years, dabbling in a&c, writing ketubot and invitations, quotations from mostly Jewish sources, giving afterschool lessons in calligraphy, papercutting, and making and printing with rubber stamps. I had always felt, though, that my profession would be related to medicine, and that a&c would be a hobby.

So, a couple of years ago, once the kids were getting older, I decided to go to nursing school. I loved the academics, loved spending time with the patients, and didn't mind the gory stuff. However, certain character traits of mine that I had always managed to work around, more or less, got in the way of accomplishing what I needed to do in the hospital. I guess over the years at home, I've gotten used to doing things my own way, at my own speed, and my tendency to not always assert myself has gotten stronger. Not that I can't be assertive at all, but I need time to "psych my self into it" which I didn't have on the hospital floor.

I think that if I'd been able to get through nursing school, I'd probably have been able to find a job that suited me more than the med-surg floor did, such as long-term care or home health care. But my instructors were not pleased with my performance, and in the beginning of November, after 2 years and 3 months of studies, I dropped out of the program with an option to return next year.

After a month of feeling sort of lost, I decided to return to quilting, which, I neglected to mention, I had picked up in the summer of 2004. I had felt a desire to try a new medium for a while, and after a friend, to whom I am forever indebted (thanks, Sara), gave me a pile of old magazines into which a Hancock's of Paducah Catalogue had been inadvertently (Sara?) inserted, I knew that I had fallen in love.

Since then, I've had a ball, first making quilts for kids and grandkids including a Chupah for Shani and Elan, using verrrrry large fabric pieces, taking a few classes at Country Quilter and reading lotttttts of quilting books. Of course, it would be nice to have an income, but I'm hoping to develop some marketable Judaica fabric pieces.

Best wishes to all,

Debbie

Next, my plan is to upload some pictures of my work.

1 Comments:

  • i really enjoyed reading this - very interesting - i feel like i know you my whole life - lol!!!

    good luck with the art and the blog - but GET SOME SLEEP !!!

    Ken

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home