debbie in wonderland

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Family news

December 31 was my parents' 55th anniversary. It was bittersweet - my father is in good health, thank God, but my mother is in her 13th year of dementia. She is basically confined to bed now, but we got her up for our little party, and she perked up after awhile and was aware of what was going on and communicated with us nicely.

My father's good heart shines brighter and brighter as this progresses, and my sister, Karen, who lives down the street devotes a tremendous amount of time, care, and love to my parents.

My brother, Lennie, who lives in Israel, and I, who live about an hour away, do what we can, but we are tremendously grateful to Karen and her family. Somehow, the bulk of the caretaking usually seems to fall primarily on one child, and Karen is the one.

As for our sons, Yaakov graduated from high school last June, and is currently studying in a yeshiva in Israel. He seems to be having a great time, and is spending a lot of his free time with his sisters and their families and with Lennie and Helene and family.

Yehuda is in 11th grade at SAR HS, and his favorite subject is driving. He actually drove to Florida for vacation with a friend and his (the friend's) grandmother.

Yishai is in 7th great in our local day school and his Bar Mitzva is coming up at the end of February. He loves baseball and basketball and is on a team in each of those sports.

That should be our last big celebration for awhile - it's the last bar/t mitzva and we're not expecting any weddings in the near future. Of course, there's my 50th bd coming up, but if you know me, you know that I'm not crazy about big parties. Maybe the family will go out to dinner.

Dave is teaching at the day school that Yishai attends, and giving adult education classes at our local shul. As always, he loves what he does and puts a lot of energy into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home